Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps 65th Buybacks: Have we been Punked by Topps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I think it is done on purpose as much as anything. Although I'm not sure it helps their wax sales, I do think it drives interest in the secondary market which helps with product interest. It creates threads like these which keeps the product being talked about. If you knew there were 20 of a certain card some people may just say, eh I'll find it later. Not knowing drives people to find what they can now just I case there are 1 for example. At least that's the way I see it. Or they are just lazy n don't care ;)

Ryan

Totally agree. It's a business decision. The Archives buybacks are very popular, so naturally they are riding the wave and doing the same thing again. I get that. But it's not quite the same thing - it's the same thing except cheaper and more contrived. It's buyback cards with little stamps of various colored foil on them. Round up a bunch of old commons, stamp them, and send them back out. Seems like a very efficient way to generate "new" cards. And with no checklist or serial numbers, it is also a very efficient way to get dedicated collectors talking about the product. Oh wait that's me...

I think many new Topps releases are pretty darn good, despite their quasi-monopoly, and I will even spend some of my hard earned $ on them. But this one is just, well, blech. Like it came from the Topps auxiliary annex conference room at four in the afternoon on a Friday, with the air conditioning out, and no members of the A-team present.

Loved the original post in this thread by the way. Good stuff.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
But yet not one Darryl Kile Punk'd card :((

Yeah, sorry there was no .... wait ... what's this? Another pack I didn't open?

Bam!

Untitled-5.jpg

Members online

Latest posts