Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why Beckett is a JOKE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Beckett has been around for over a quarter of a century. It is part of the Hobby for sure and should always have a place in it.

With that being said, its not hard to imagine somewhere in the near future where Beckett the magazine is no longer being produced.

Eventually, every single cell phone will come with "very good" internet access madatory.
At that point, I can see Beckett diving head long into that with apps and a really, really good and easy to use website price guide.

In order to do that though, they MUST come to reality with many of their price listings.
Yes I know, just about no one buys Bonds inserts that book $20 for anywhere near that.
But I assure you more people buy those $20 Bonds inserts for $10-$15 somewhere than Chip Cannon BC auto rcs that book $25 for even $5 each.

Thats my main beef with them. Its like they dont like to lower prices on once hot prospects who have flamed out. They still price guys like Humber, Cannon, Balentien, Penn, McCarthy, Townsend, Victor Diaz, Justin Huber, Patterson (Corey that is), Pawelek, Colton Wiilems, etc. These guys are either done or nearly finished yet they still list them high.

Considering how Beckett has beaten so many competitors in just about every single thing they have done since 1984, from prices to grading, I dont think anyone can ever totally count them out.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I suspect one key reason for Beckett combining the monthly magazine is so they company could focus on the most recent issues which I believe they do a fair (but not great) job at. I agree with all others stating Beckett prices on stuff more than a couple years old are generally a joke. The only reason I buy the occasional Beckett Quarterly is because it is useful for quick reference. I can quickly see if a player is in some 90s insert set and get a price relative to other cards. The key phrase is relative price. If Beckett lists some Griffey card at $100 and another at $20 odds are the $100 listing will sell for about five times what the $20 listing would go for. Perhaps more realistic values are $40 and $8. I just renewed my Beckett Monthly. They gave me a year for $15. Worst case scenario I get some OK articles and good fire kindling. I mainly use it to keep up with all the new products out there and in this respect Beckett still does a decent job.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
011873 said:
Eventually, every single cell phone will come with "very good" internet access madatory. At that point, I can see Beckett diving head long into that with apps and a really, really good and easy to use website price guide.

Considering how Beckett has beaten so many competitors in just about every single thing they have done since 1984, from prices to grading, I dont think anyone can ever totally count them out.

Are we talking about the same Beckett here? Based on history, when they dive in head long with their apps and new website price guide, they will hit their heads on the bottom of the pool.

If there is one thing they failed at since 1984, it was launching that new website... I'll admit that it was brilliant to start their own card grading company, since they are the ones who determine the values of these cards, and were easily able to make their product more valuable than the competition's. Brilliant! Maybe a little shady, but... brilliant!

spahnandsain

Aug 11, 2008
Conover NC
tl;dr

too long, didn't read

and yes, beckett does an EXCELLENT job at cataloging existing cards, someone has to do that[/quote]
He's legendary! If I read it, I usually agree 100%. Give him a title!

pikeman80

Jul 1, 2010
Irvine, CA
As someone who follow Buster Posey auto pricing very closely, the pricing in the Baseball Beckett monthly seems to be spot on. I am sure it helps that his cards are very actively traded on Ebay.

Latest posts