Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

December 2023 Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A nice variety of stuff today. Lynn on some weird card (it was a grouped impulse buy), Joiner and Luc Robataille

Lynn.jpgJoiner.jpgRobitaille.jpg
A new Pacific Trading Cards catalog from 1981. Always fun to look back at what things were selling for and scold yourself for not buying more, when it reality it was no big deal at the time and you didn't have excess money to spend anyway.s-l1600-2.jpg

This last item took a bit to secure. I watched it for quite a while and finally decided to make an offer. The reply I got within a day was from someone identifying as the seller's wife. was that the seller was in the hospital and had suffered a heart attack. A few months went by and the guy eventually recovered and got back with me, but was not willing to meet my offer. Probably another couple months pass and I get a message out of the blue. If my offer was still good, he'd accept. That is really rare in my experience, when a seller keeps a potential buyers contact info and reaches back out. I know it happens, but for me it has been very uncommon.

I am a Raider fan, of course. The record itself has minimal interest to me. I remember I was either in 8th grade or possibly a Freshman when the Super Bowl Shuffle came out. I hated it. Didn't help that I was not much of a Bears fan. This record would be released a few years later and I can't say I remember it even happening, nor would I have been excited about it even though they were my team.

The way I found this item originally was while doing a search for Rusty Hilger, a little known mid-80s back-up QB for them. I while back, I decided to get signatures from as many QBs for the Raiders as i could find. He was with the Raiders from 1985-87, getting limited time as a 3rd stringer behind Marc Wilson and Jim Plunkett. When Plunkett retired after the 86 season, Hilger opened the 1987 as the Raiders starter, the youngest in franchise history. He lead the team to a 2-0 start, before the NFL went on strike. Vince Evans crossed the picket line to revive his career and stayed on with the team as the 3rd string and remained with the team until 1992. Hilger would end up starting 5 games that season, his only career starts with the Raiders, losing the next 3 after the strike settled, before heading to Detroit in 1988. Due to injuries, he never played during the 1989-90 seasons as he bounced around between clubs. He returned to the field in 1991 to appear in 1 game/1 pass attempt (incomplete) for the Colts and that would be his last game, although he was on the Seahawks for 2 more more seasons before retiring. Hilger died of cancer on Christmas eve 2019, at the age of 57.

The other signature I was excited about was Stacey Toran, who as an active player died tragically in a relatively low speed car accident just a block or so from his home in August 1989 at the age of 27. Apparently Toran's car hit a curb at about 40 MPH and rolled several times, before hitting a tree. He was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected, dying from head trauma due to the impact. You may recognize the name, as he has a variation to his 1989 Proset card showing a memorial after his death.
s-l1600-6.jpg51UXdeS1svL._AC_.jpg

Other notables include HOF Mike Haynes and I am fairly certain, an abbreviated Lester Hayes among others. A very cool piece for those interested in obscure Raider signatures.
s-l1600-4.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Comc grabs. Jersey # 22/250 for 6 bux w/Oswalt dual, a really nice Pacific Platinum Blue for 6 bux rather than 30 on the bay, Fleer Canada 1990 Players of the Decade for 90 cents, 2 Leaf Game Day tickets which were both Ws for Rocket (theres one on fleabay right now too l, but he took the L that day, so it can stay there lol). A nice Starview Gold for 4 bucks, a newer Tek /15, few other numbered ones that fill holes, many under a buck!

Love getting cards at good prices and having shipping average less than a quarter per card. Feels like a hobby and not a fleecing! 😀

Attachments

• 20231216_132941.jpg
    20231216_132941.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231216_132844.jpg
    20231216_132844.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231216_132834.jpg
    20231216_132834.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231216_132754.jpg
    20231216_132754.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 9

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Comc grabs. Jersey # 22/250 for 6 bux w/Oswalt dual, a really nice Pacific Platinum Blue for 6 bux rather than 30 on the bay, Fleer Canada 1990 Players of the Decade for 90 cents, 2 Leaf Game Day tickets which were both Ws for Rocket (theres one on fleabay right now too l, but he took the L that day, so it can stay there lol). A nice Starview Gold for 4 bucks, a newer Tek /15, few other numbered ones that fill holes, many under a buck!

Love getting cards at good prices and having shipping average less than a quarter per card. Feels like a hobby and not a fleecing! 😀
Awesome pick ups! I love COMC also!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A new 61 Heritage design to add, Coco Crisp /29. Crisp 29.jpg

B Roberts from a set I like. B Roberts.jpg

Tony Meola. Bought it only because it's part of the Titan set Meola.jpg
And three old basketball autographs. Reminder, I use ebay scans most of the time. Those are not my digits. Bird.jpgRodman.jpgGola.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Did a blog post on this set and it included a tangent ride into some other cereal issues. My research brought me to these sealed sets on ebay, so I bought a lot of 3. They appear to be factory sealed, but are rubberbanded INSIDE the package. Weirdest thing ever. I'm guessing long term damage either with pressure and/or the rubberband deteriorating. I should open them, but I will probably keep at least 1 sealed for evidence that they came that way from the "factory". I got 2 Ozzie on top and 1 Canseco top.
s-l1600-2.png

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Did a blog post on this set and it included a tangent ride into some other cereal issues. My research brought me to these sealed sets on ebay, so I bought a lot of 3. They appear to be factory sealed, but are rubberbanded INSIDE the package. Weirdest thing ever. I'm guessing long term damage either with pressure and/or the rubberband deteriorating. I should open them, but I will probably keep at least 1 sealed for evidence that they came that way from the "factory". I got 2 Ozzie on top and 1 Canseco top.
View attachment 352737
Going to have to dig out my set. Pretty sure mine is sealed without a rubber band.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Going to have to dig out my set. Pretty sure mine is sealed without a rubber band.
I found the rubber bands to be extremely odd.

I really don't know. i could put together that through a mail in certificate, complete sets could be purchased. How they were shipped is a mystery to me. I made an assumption that these were those sets. I could be very wrong.

here is my blog article.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I found the rubber bands to be extremely odd.

I really don't know. i could put together that through a mail in certificate, complete sets could be purchased. How they were shipped is a mystery to me. I made an assumption that these were those sets. I could be very wrong.

here is my blog article.

While I didnt touch as much on the 1984 or 1989 sets as I did 1987 sets and sheets , my post in my Red Sox Thread may help in the distribution aspect of it.

Haven't had time to hit storage for 1989 - maybe I should , to check on the 1989 Mail order sets configuration once that box cutout was mailed in with money to be redeemed for the full set. Clear packaging I know was used in prior years full sets = it's those rubber bands that I've literally never seen on any authentic package, so color me curious as well

1984 / 1987 Ralston Purina

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Haven't posted in a while because I skipped my normal beginning of the month spending spree this month...too much spending on Christmas presents lately. Here's a few random cards I've picked up:

122323.jpg
1998 Elite Status Tejada 067/100 and 2004 Finest Gold Refractor Mulder 46/50 complete the team sets. The newfangled Select Tim Hudson auto is 12/25. The two 2005 Mark Kotsay Gold Refractors get me closer to those team sets - still missing 2 from Finest and 3 from Bowman Chrome.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Kind of hooked on these, if I can get them cheap. Obviously I am not chasing them to get as many as I can, but they are cool with their came specific numbering.Rip F.jpgRip B.jpg

Another Hobby celebrity that is for the fun side. These don't sell for peanuts either. KO. KOlbermann.png

Wells /25 Wells 25.jpg

Couple of these guys. I do like this design. mATHEWS.jpgWilbur Wood.jpg

An odd tangent to my collection since I discovered this. Ripken was a spokesman for this drug Prinivil and there are all sorts of unique collectibles issued for this ad campaign. I try not to pay much and have gotten most of the different items I have seen, but not all. Rip Cups.jpg

Haywood PA.jpgHaywood. Van ArsdaleVan Arsdale.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts