Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Donruss Crusades..... Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
I've been on the hunt for the red chipper jones for years now. When one does come up the price is usually ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have the rainbow for Belle and also the rainbow of the proofs. Consider these two rainbows to be a highlight of my entire collection.

I got the Red last year when I purchased a Belle collection off a fellow collector who had a Belle collection which rivaled mine and was giving it up... If you can believe that.

Anyways, here they are. So much nicer in hand.

CRUSADEGREEN_zps6bf315a6.jpg

CRUSADEPURPLE_zps72a3f970.jpg

CRUSADERED_zpsc79658a3.jpg

CRUSADES_zpseab69895.png

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I have the rainbow for Belle and also the rainbow of the proofs. Consider these two rainbows to be a highlight of my entire collection.

I got the Red last year when I purchased a Belle collection off a fellow collector who had a Belle collection which rivaled mine and was giving it up... If you can believe that.

Anyways, here they are. So much nicer in hand.

CRUSADEGREEN_zps6bf315a6.jpg

CRUSADEPURPLE_zps72a3f970.jpg

CRUSADERED_zpsc79658a3.jpg

CRUSADES_zpseab69895.png

Very Nice

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Most of the factors for value have already been mentioned: scarcity, production value, extensive player checklist. Their complex manner of cross-brand distribution adds to the mix. But even more so, is that they have a sense of mystery and a good back story to them, and collectors eat that sh@t up. First, there are the mysterious "second series Crusades" that were never made due to the Donruss Bankruptcy, but that prototypes leaked out. These non-serial numbered cards with card numbers #131 and above are "bigfoots" - cards that are all but rumors - until you actually see them. Each card in the first #130 would have had an opposite card in the 2nd series: regular card would have a Call to Arms, Call to Arms a regular. Then there are the "executive proofs" that were serial-numbered but *** on the first number. How those came to be and the quantities of each are still debated. Over time, the mysteries of the issue add to its hobby lore, and combined with the other factors, have created the perfect storm to drive up prices.

Here are some of the bigfoots from the mysterious 2nd series:

arod_proto.jpg

belle_proto.jpg

castilla_proto.jpg

clark_proto.jpg

grace_proto.jpg

knoblauch_proto.jpg

larkin_proto.jpg

lofton_proto.jpg

mondesi_proto.jpg

pettitte_proto.jpg

salmon_proto.jpg

smoltz_proto.jpg

thomas_proto.jpg

Complete Grace rainbows: 1st and 2nd Series

CRUSADES9.jpg

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
A person is on the Juangone site trying to sell a Red BGS 9.5 for $2000. That was 2 weeks ago. Not for me. Or any other Juan collector. He still has it. I will take 100 serial numbered to 100 cards for that.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Holy &*^% are all those "big foots" real? And you have them. If so that is some crazy good stuff right there.

Most of the factors for value have already been mentioned: scarcity, production value, extensive player checklist. Their complex manner of cross-brand distribution adds to the mix. But even more so, is that they have a sense of mystery and a good back story to them, and collectors eat that sh@t up. First, there are the mysterious "second series Crusades" that were never made due to the Donruss Bankruptcy, but that prototypes leaked out. These non-serial numbered cards with card numbers #131 and above are "bigfoots" - cards that are all but rumors - until you actually see them. Each card in the first #130 would have had an opposite card in the 2nd series: regular card would have a Call to Arms, Call to Arms a regular. Then there are the "executive proofs" that were serial-numbered but *** on the first number. How those came to be and the quantities of each are still debated. Over time, the mysteries of the issue add to its hobby lore, and combined with the other factors, have created the perfect storm to drive up prices.

Here are some of the bigfoots from the mysterious 2nd series:

arod_proto.jpg

belle_proto.jpg

castilla_proto.jpg

clark_proto.jpg

grace_proto.jpg

knoblauch_proto.jpg

larkin_proto.jpg

lofton_proto.jpg

mondesi_proto.jpg

pettitte_proto.jpg

salmon_proto.jpg

smoltz_proto.jpg

thomas_proto.jpg

Complete Grace rainbows: 1st and 2nd Series

CRUSADES9.jpg

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
When I lost the green /250 for ~$25 I was thinking
$60-$80 for this one. I was wrong!

1410484276579.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
The prototype aka mysterious second series Crusade cards are nice! I think I heard that every player who had an original Crusade card had a "second series" card as well, the exception being Rickey Henderson who does not have a regular Crusade card but has a second series one (just green, I believe). I've heard from a few collectors closer to the situation that it is commonly believed that 2 green, 1 purple and 1 red exist for each second series player.

With regard to the executive proofs, I think the only ones most of us have seen were the infamous ones that popped up on COMC a couple years back. I had heard that most of the superstars were not in that set and having tried to muddle through COMC's sold feature I confirmed that I couldn't find any big stars who had executive proofs that sold via COMC. So I am inclined to believe that these proofs may not have been made of all players.

I think [MENTION=5616]ch2423[/MENTION] has also shown another variant on the Crusade - the red/purple/green with the original photos as the packed out Crusades but no serial number at all on the back

guyjones10

Jan 19, 2014
These are definitely some of my holy grails.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 26

Members online

Latest posts