Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Reaction To Alex Rodriguez Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If the problem is outside of the per se drug usage, then Selig could have used his powers outside of the joint agreement with the union and done just that (lifetime ban). As I understand it, arbitration on any appeal in that realm would go to Selig himself, which means that Arod's fate would be sealed. I might then disagree with Selig (not sure on that), but as it stands now his actions are voiding the current joint drug agreement by attempting to set the precedent that he need not follow its precepts. I don't see how the union can accept that if they want to retain any power.

You may not have a problem with that, as many here sure are (understandably) emotional about all of this, but I have a problem with a group of teams now arbitrarily grandstanding on an issue that has brought them considerable profit in the past. A cynic might say that they are only grandstanding now because those profits are being threatened.

In some ways Selig's power will have to rival that of Kenesaw Mountain Landis' to clean things up quickly. The union may have no issue with this, especially if Selig is to depart his current role soon.

Jon Mead

Jul 28, 2013
If the appeal fails and the suspension stands, I say he will retire.

Not if he wants any of the money left on his contract. Best case scenario is he appeals wins and is medically unable to play. Then he gets his contract although the fact he didnt get banned and Pete rose is. Now that's laughable

Searching for demarcus wares and gavin escobars.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I was glad to see him back last night.
In what way?

Were you upset from his struggle not being in a Yankee uniform for a little while? Or were you worried about his health and rehab? Or you're a fan of his and think he is fighting for his life, so seeing him back was a good signal his life will be okay? Or just in general a Yankee fan and figure if you're paying him, might as well be on the field?

In all seriousness, I'm curious.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Rodriguez will receive his arbitration hearing, and the arbitration process appears to be fair. Not necessarily in a karmic sense as Braun got temporarily exonerated but in a legal sense.

In the meantime all the hate for him is silly. He's an unlikeable figure for many reasons. But we have been presented with NO evidence that his transgressions were more serious than Pettitte's, or as serious as Melky Cabrera's. Are we just going to assume he is guilty of the things we hear talked about?

We have no idea what he did, or what any other player did. We have no idea why or how they did it or if it helped or hurt. We probably never will know as there is no public disclosure of arbitration evidence.

What about players who stay a step ahead of the testing? They're heroes? What about players who don't warrant an external investigation? What about young players who see MLB as their only chance to escape poverty? This is a much more complicated issue than these silly "hes a juicer!!" debates make it seem.

So hang the guy if you want. But go ahead and waive your right to a trial if you commit a crime. And you didn't have hundreds of millions of dollars at stake either.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I am just waiting for D Day, wether he is labeled a PED junkie or not, I still support the guy...(outside his PED use, whenever that was)

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the meantime all the hate for him is silly. We have been presented with NO evidence that his transgressions were more serious than Pettitte's, or as serious as Melky Cabrera's. Are we just going to assume he is guilty of the things we hear talked about?
You seriously believe "all the hatred for him is silly"?
He's a habitual liar and repeat offender who tries to act like a victim.

In 2007, Arod went on 60 Minutes to publicly deny ever using steroids.

Then in 2009, he told ESPN he in fact did use steroids when he played for the Rangers from 2001-2003.
He promised never to do it again and even joined a program to warn kids about the dangers of steroids.

Now there is overwhelming evidence, according to legal experts, that shows Arod not only bought steroids, but he tried to cover it up, a federal crime.
ESPN has documents showing he used PEDs from 2010-2012.

Arod is not appealing because he denies using PEDs. He's appealing because he says the punishment is unfair because he's technically a first-time offender, even though he admits using from 2001-2003.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
With the amount of hate Bonds got, it's safe to assume that A-Roid will be the most hated baseball player. Until someone 1-ups him. Or is it 1-downs him?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
In what way?

Were you upset from his struggle not being in a Yankee uniform for a little while? Or were you worried about his health and rehab? Or you're a fan of his and think he is fighting for his life, so seeing him back was a good signal his life will be okay? Or just in general a Yankee fan and figure if you're paying him, might as well be on the field?

In all seriousness, I'm curious.

I enjoy watching him play and I think he can help the Yankees.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Here's my understanding of the arbitration process (will some please correct/clarify if I am off base here?):

Both sides go to the arbitrator with a desired outcome, and the arbitrator can only choose from those two outcomes, not a "happy medium."

In other words, if Bud and the boys go to the arbitrator requesting suspension until the end of the 2014 season, and Arod requests 50 games, those are the only two possible outcomes.

If this is true, it should be very interesting to see how both sides play this:

Since this case probably won't be heard by the arbitrator until the off-season, does MLB request a suspension until the end of 2014, a suspension of 211 games, or go all-in with the lifetime suspension?

Does Arod's team of lawyers request 100 games, 50 games, or no suspension at all?

Confused? You won't be, after this episode of Soap!

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I think the thing that should be bothering MLB the most about this now is that none of these guys who just got suspended actually tested positive. It seems like MLB got lucky that there are reporters out there who are doing the work for them.

Every time a mass-suspension like this happens, MLB tries to convince the fans that the end of the PED era is over. This time, they are using the selling point of "look how many players want to get PEDs out of baseball." OF COURSE THEY'RE GOING TO SAY THAT! It's not like you're going to stick a microphone in front of a player's face and he's going to say, "Well...actually...I'm a user...so..ummm...I don't want to get rid of PEDs."

It's pretty obvious these scientists/doctors have figured out how to make their products undetectable, at least to current testing methods. That should be very troublesome to MLB.

I wonder how many dozens of other places like Biogenesis are out there, both in the USA and overseas. I also wonder how many current players are "patients" of theirs.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I think the thing that should be bothering MLB the most about this now is that none of these guys who just got suspended actually tested positive. It seems like MLB got lucky that there are reporters out there who are doing the work for them.

Every time a mass-suspension like this happens, MLB tries to convince the fans that the end of the PED era is over. This time, they are using the selling point of "look how many players want to get PEDs out of baseball." OF COURSE THEY'RE GOING TO SAY THAT! It's not like you're going to stick a microphone in front of a player's face and he's going to say, "Well...actually...I'm a user...so..ummm...I don't want to get rid of PEDs."

It's pretty obvious these scientists/doctors have figured out how to make their products undetectable, at least to current testing methods. That should be very troublesome to MLB.

I wonder how many dozens of other places like Biogenesis are out there, both in the USA and overseas. I also wonder how many current players are "patients" of theirs.

They dont have to be undetectable. The testing system is a rouse and an absolute joke. You can easily be on a cycle and pass the testing. As long as you keep you t/e ration under 4 to 1. Even if your levels are above that, you can take the cream to get those levels under. You dont need designer steroids to pass that test, you just need to keep your levels in check. Baseball could solve this problem by using the CIR test, however, if they did that, well, they might not like the results.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
They dont have to be undetectable. The testing system is a rouse and an absolute joke. You can easily be on a cycle and pass the testing. As long as you keep you t/e ration under 4 to 1. Even if your levels are above that, you can take the cream to get those levels under. You dont need designer steroids to pass that test, you just need to keep your levels in check. Baseball could solve this problem by using the CIR test, however, if they did that, well, they might not like the results.

If Selig implemented CIR testing he wouldn't need to go through the whole process he's went through over the past few months. Our current testing system is a joke.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts