Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The BEST player who will NEVER be a HOF'er...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
fkw said:
Maris, Munson, what?

You guys are all wrong.... :)

The Answer is...
The 4th Best Hitter in the History of MLB is not a HOFer................

Who Am I?

One of the games greatest players and people.
A Bay Area Legend.
Started off as a Left Handed Pitcher for the New York Yankees, traded to the Boston Red Sox, then got hurt....
Came back a couple years later as a Hitter and batted... .319, .398, .383, .336, .368 his first 5 years as an everyday player in MLB.
70+ years later Ichiro broke one of his records.
They named a Beer and also a Bridge after him.
He is in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame,...... and the Pacific Coast League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Who Am I?

(If you know your Baseball History at all, you will know this guy right away w/o looking him up.)

Lefty Odoul...

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
bowmanchromeandorr said:
leatherman said:
Albert Belle.

joey, joey, joey ... his dad was my gym coach in high school

His numbers are HOF worthy. I'm still pissed that they gave the 1995 MVP to Mo Vaughn. Belle's 50 HRs and 52 doubles marked the first time in history someone had 50 and 50, and the first season with 100 extra base hits since Stan Musial in 1948. Belle had more HRs, the same number of RBIs, a higher batting average, a higher slugging percentage, a higher on base percentage, a higher WAR value, more hits, more runs, and more walks. The only reason he didn't win was because of his personality.

He had the best 10 year stretch from a non-steroid accused player in history, for a non HOFer: 373 HRs, 1199 RBIs, 146 OPS+.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Perhaps as egregious is that he was only on the ballot twice before being dropped.

leatherman said:
bowmanchromeandorr said:
leatherman said:
Albert Belle.
joey, joey, joey ... his dad was my gym coach in high school

His numbers are HOF worthy. I'm still pissed that they gave the 1995 MVP to Mo Vaughn. Belle's 50 HRs and 52 doubles marked the first time in history someone had 50 and 50, and the first season with 100 extra base hits since Stan Musial in 1948. Belle had more HRs, the same number of RBIs, a higher batting average, a higher slugging percentage, a higher on base percentage, a higher WAR value, more hits, more runs, and more walks. The only reason he didn't win was because of his personality.

He had the best 10 year stretch from a non-steroid accused player in history, for a non HOFer: 373 HRs, 1199 RBIs, 146 OPS+.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
383astro said:
Dale Murphy

i second that. as a kid who grew up in the 1980's, murphy was one of my faves. 7x as, 2x mvp, 4x ss, 5x gg. he was one of the most dynamic players of the decade. for an 8 year stretch (80-87), he was as good as anyone.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
Pete Rose?

First thought that came to mind.

I'd like to see how guys like Bagwell will fare. There are a lot of great sluggers, juice or no, in the last 20 years who might not get in due to their numbers being on the cusp.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
predatorkj said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
Pete Rose?

First thought that came to mind.

I'd like to see how guys like Bagwell will fare. There are a lot of great sluggers, juice or no, in the last 20 years who might not get in due to their numbers being on the cusp.
bags will get in, not a doubt.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
predatorkj said:
hofautos said:
sheetskout said:
Todd Helton

The stats are almost right there to be on the bubble.

Helton will be a first ballot hofer

Not necessarily but I do think he will get in.
I am convinced enough to take any wager.

People are gonna look at where he played and you'll always have the inflated stats of Coors Field problem. I think he gets in...just not necessarily first. As for Bags...he has just as many things in his favor as things that are not. I really am curious to see what the voters do. But even being a huge fan...I don't agree he gets in for sure.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
hofautos said:
predatorkj said:
hofautos said:
sheetskout said:
Todd Helton

The stats are almost right there to be on the bubble.

Helton will be a first ballot hofer

Not necessarily but I do think he will get in.
I am convinced enough to take any wager.

The average is great but he only has 2230 hits and played 14 seasons. I am rooting for Todd Helton to get into the hall but at this point his statistics certainly don't merit first ballot induction. He's declined too fast.

Members online