Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When a newbie seller tries to tell a player collector what something should cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sep 25, 2013
Midwest US
I just thought I would comment on this..

I am NOT saying who is right, or who is wrong, BUT.....The seller can sell the card for whatever he wants, it's his right to do so. IMO I am not going to "dictate" to a seller what he "should sell it for", or "this is what it's going for on Ebay" stuff. I hear this kind of stuff always at shows, and it burns me to no end. Sometimes people don't grasp the concept of what amt we have in a card, or how many cases we bust to get that " 1/1" kind of hit. Now, I know this is a little off, but if I have let's say $15 in a card that books for $50, and I am asking $20, so I can make $5, and a buyer says 'can you take $12"?, REALLY???

So I am supposed to sell for a loss, just because "that's what it sells for on Ebay", or "because you want to lowball me, so you can turn around and "flip" it over to double your money???. I am ALL for ALL of us wanting to make a little bit, or if we are trying to get a PC item, but at the end of the day...

If you want the card BAD enough, you either pay the piper, or you don't. Will I "overpay" to quote the person, just so I can have it in my PC. If "overpay" is the term u want to use, then yes, I "overpay". But for me, I am willing to pay, (if i have the finances) to do so, to get a card that I really want, BUT....I DONT think it's right that we try and rip the seller, for what he CHOOSES to sell a card for, because we don't like his price, or "I can't get it for pennies on the dollar', I mean gosh, it's the seller right.

Again, if you want the card BAD enough, they pay the money, or don't It's really that simple, but don't b$$$$ about someone who wants to sell something at his price. We all sell cards for what we want, and if we don't get our price, then let them go somewhere else, to get it. Sometimes you have to be "FIRM", just the nature of the beast

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

I am NOT saying who is right, or who is wrong, BUT.....The seller can sell the card for whatever he wants, it's his right to do so. IMO I am not going to "dictate" to a seller what he "should sell it for", or "this is what it's going for on Ebay" stuff. I hear this kind of stuff always at shows, and it burns me to no end. Sometimes people don't grasp the concept of what amt we have in a card, or how many cases we bust to get that " 1/1" kind of hit. Now, I know this is a little off, but if I have let's say $15 in a card that books for $50, and I am asking $20, so I can make $5, and a buyer says 'can you take $12"?, REALLY???

So I am supposed to sell for a loss, just because "that's what it sells for on Ebay", or "because you want to lowball me, so you can turn around and "flip" it over to double your money???. I am ALL for ALL of us wanting to make a little bit, or if we are trying to get a PC item, but at the end of the day...

If you want the card BAD enough, you either pay the piper, or you don't. Will I "overpay" to quote the person, just so I can have it in my PC. If "overpay" is the term u want to use, then yes, I "overpay". But for me, I am willing to pay, (if i have the finances) to do so, to get a card that I really want, BUT....I DONT think it's right that we try and rip the seller, for what he CHOOSES to sell a card for, because we don't like his price, or "I can't get it for pennies on the dollar', I mean gosh, it's the seller right.

Again, if you want the card BAD enough, they pay the money, or don't It's really that simple, but don't b$$$$ about someone who wants to sell something at his price. We all sell cards for what we want, and if we don't get our price, then let them go somewhere else, to get it. Sometimes you have to be "FIRM", just the nature of the beast

Spoken like a true non-collector. It sounds like you're saying it's ok for a seller to try to get the best deal(profit) he can but not ok for an actual collector to try to get the best deal he/she can.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

All fair points, and ones I had conceded; but the issue I had was the seller simply saying something that I knew not to be true. Plus, he was exaggerating the situation; if there was truly a "steal" to be had, why would you even put it out there for less than it's worth if you know better.

In the end, I gave the seller a bit than I wanted to, and he conceded that he wasn't correct in his assertion of the original price.

Sep 25, 2013
Midwest US
"Spoken by a jerk", FYI Einstein, I am a collector. So let's get that out of the way right now. Let me be "crystal clear" about this. I am happy that Hive17 got the card that he wanted. But by you logic Mozzie, if you see a 72" TV at Sears for $1400, and you only want to pay $800, does that mean that you go around saying how Sears is wrong for selling it for $1400, cause you couldn't get it for $800?

ALL I was saying is IMO any seller is entitled to sell for what they CHOOSE to sell it for, and as a buyer, you do try to get a fair deal, but let me again ask a SIMPLE business question.: If you had a card that you had $15 in, and the card books for $50, and you are selling it for $20, that's it, so you are only making $5. I come up to your table, and I say "Will you take $12"?. Of course you WON'T. Why Mozzie?, Cause I will break it down for you.....You would be taking a LOSS, it's that simple. How can anyone who is in business, whether cards, retail, whatever company. You WILL NEVER stay in business, that's MY POINT.

You can't stay in business, when you sell for a loss. What PERSONALLY p$$$$$ me of, is when a guy comes up to me at a show, and offers less than what I have into a card. Or the old "it's selling for this on Ebay" Well if it's selling for x amt of dollars on Ebay....#1 Why don't you buy everyone of that card at that price you like. #2 . Get the he$$ away from my table, cause I don't deal with kindergarten games, passed that stage 35 years ago. That's all I was saying.

When I look at cards for my PC, I either choose to pay, or not, at the price I had in mind. I don't ridicule the seller, like he's dumb. I am happy Hive17 got the card he wanted, I really do, that's awesome for him. I am ALL for ALL of us trying to get the best deal whether selling, or buying, but DON'T accuse me of being a "non-collector", show some respect please, it isn't hard. I just wish all of us would in the back of our minds, realize that you have to consider what someone might have in a card, thats all, cause NONE of us will sell for a loss, NOBODY stays in business that way.

I either choose to pay, or not. I just don't like the whole " This is what it sells for on Ebay, and I try and explain how much I have in a particular card and I cant afford to sell for less that I paid for something". Sometimes people just don't understand that, and just try to lowball, Again I'm all for deals, and I try to be fair, as best as I can. That's all.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The above post is for Mozzie, not you Hive17

I know. And remember, the seller was the one that began the conversation on how I wasn't close on the value of the card. I made an offer thru eBay's system, and he proceeded to tell me I wasn't even close to the value of the card. That was according to him, but it wasn't based on anything factual. I have years of purchasing data and experience that formed my offer; he had nothing. But he's free to ask for whatever he wants.

autocut

I agree with you. Collector and "overpay" shouldn't be used in same sentence. If a collector is worried about overpaying, go and buy where it is going rate. You can't "overpay" for a 1/1 because there is not an identical card to compare it to. All 1/1's are different with different values. The only way to try to compare is take another players 1/1 and compare it with another 1/1 and see what the price % difference is. But it all comes down to how badly the seller want to sell it and how badly the collector wants it. That's when the final price will be agreed on. Can't get mad either way. Like an episode of Pawn Stars.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
"Spoken by a jerk", FYI Einstein, I am a collector. So let's get that out of the way right now. Let me be "crystal clear" about this. I am happy that Hive17 got the card that he wanted. But by you logic Mozzie, if you see a 72" TV at Sears for $1400, and you only want to pay $800, does that mean that you go around saying how Sears is wrong for selling it for $1400, cause you couldn't get it for $800?

ALL I was saying is IMO any seller is entitled to sell for what they CHOOSE to sell it for, and as a buyer, you do try to get a fair deal, but let me again ask a SIMPLE business question.: If you had a card that you had $15 in, and the card books for $50, and you are selling it for $20, that's it, so you are only making $5. I come up to your table, and I say "Will you take $12"?. Of course you WON'T. Why Mozzie?, Cause I will break it down for you.....You would be taking a LOSS, it's that simple. How can anyone who is in business, whether cards, retail, whatever company. You WILL NEVER stay in business, that's MY POINT.

You can't stay in business, when you sell for a loss. What PERSONALLY p$$$$$ me of, is when a guy comes up to me at a show, and offers less than what I have into a card. Or the old "it's selling for this on Ebay" Well if it's selling for x amt of dollars on Ebay....#1 Why don't you buy everyone of that card at that price you like. #2 . Get the he$$ away from my table, cause I don't deal with kindergarten games, passed that stage 35 years ago. That's all I was saying.

When I look at cards for my PC, I either choose to pay, or not, at the price I had in mind. I don't ridicule the seller, like he's dumb. I am happy Hive17 got the card he wanted, I really do, that's awesome for him. I am ALL for ALL of us trying to get the best deal whether selling, or buying, but DON'T accuse me of being a "non-collector", show some respect please, it isn't hard. I just wish all of us would in the back of our minds, realize that you have to consider what someone might have in a card, thats all, cause NONE of us will sell for a loss, NOBODY stays in business that way.

I either choose to pay, or not. I just don't like the whole " This is what it sells for on Ebay, and I try and explain how much I have in a particular card and I cant afford to sell for less that I paid for something". Sometimes people just don't understand that, and just try to lowball, Again I'm all for deals, and I try to be fair, as best as I can. That's all.

You lost your argument the second you said, "Money you have in a card." This may be hard for you to understand but there are many of us collectors that have never sold a card in our life. The second you start worrying about what you've got into a product and what you'll get back is the second you become a dealer and not just a collector. If you're unhappy about how real collectors try to negotiate you down at shows then perhaps you should look for another line of income.

autocut

You lost your argument the second you said, "Money you have in a card." This may be hard for you to understand but there are many of us collectors that have never sold a card in our life. The second you start worrying about what you've got into a product and what you'll get back is the second you become a dealer and not just a collector. If you're unhappy about how real collectors try to negotiate you down at shows then perhaps you should look for another line of income.

I think "money you have in a card" would be a wrong phase. more like how much it will cost to replace it. My only issue with this entire situation is he seemed to be annoyed because the seller won't sell to him for what he thinks is a fair price. Someone needs to share some of that sunshine. Example there is a card on ebay for $500, that normally sells for $5-$10. If I offer $10 which is the usual going rate, and he declines, I walk away and keep looking elsewhere. If its a 1/1, its either pay the piper or just accept that its one card you may not get in your collection.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Great post.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I love the saying "pay the piper" - not because I think that's right but because I just appreciate my dealings with true collectors and those who mean well in the hobby and not try to cut every corner and squeeze every penny out of every single person they run up against. People can do whatever the hell they want with their own cards but I just really appreciate my dealings with true collectors who are reasonable and don't try to work every avenue to get the next penny out of their card. I tend to treat people how I would want to be treated. I bet most of these clowns would never be in a thread call "Free to go home" because to them everything has a value and they would never give anything away for the good of the hobby or a community. It's sad to have some of these guys in the hobby IMO.

Sep 25, 2013
Midwest US
Ok Mozzie...#1 . Worry about your own life, family, and income, before you try and tell me "to find another source of income". Apparently you think it's cool to say ignorant things like that, but I guess that shows your maturity lvel, or lack there of.

I happen to very blessed in my life to have a wife, kids, and great job, that affords me the luxery if you will of being able to be BOTH a dealer, and a collector, so again, worry about your own life, and get a better source of income, and maybe you too can be both a collector, and dealer, and you can understand both sides of this industry, instead of tyring to"act" like you know both, cause it's very obvious to see that YOU sir, don't understand it, but since you are prob a "young whippesnapper", I can understand how you can't comprehend business.

I make plenty of money as a dealer, and I deal with guys like you every show I do, and I like how you just ignore my questions about business. I was only trying to give my opinion, and you took this, and ran with it, trying to act like you know everything, since you are a "real collector", which I seem to wonder about.

As for being a COLLECTOR: Mozzie, I have been collecting over 40+ years, and there have been PLENTY of times, that I have not gotten a card, that I wanted in my PC. I can't speak for how other people try, and collect, I can only speak for myself. If there is a card that I want, whether at a show. or off of a friend of mine, I see what they are asking for it. If they are asking $150, and I feel that I would only like to spend $100 on it, and we can't agree, then I'm ok with, and I move on. He or whoever is free to ask what they want, and no big deal to me, I personally won't lowball him, as apparently you do, and say "Oh, I can only offer you $50". And if that's how you are, then more power to you.

As a DEALER: This is where you, and I have a BIG difference, and what you can't comprehend, but then again, this is also how you are, so why can't you answer the question, is that hard for you, or won't you answer cause you don't know business.

Let's again say I bought a card off Ebay for $15, cause that's the "market", it's selling for, and the card is only worth $50. So I say, I'm going to sell it for $20, that way, I make something, and a guy like YOU who comes to my table, who collects that particular person, offers me $12, cause that's all your willing to pay for it, and it's a card that you really want. How can I sell it to you for $12, when I have $15 in it. Mozzie, I am selling it for a LOSS. What part of that is NOT registering with you?. It wouldn't matter Mozzie if it was cards, retail, whatever....If you are trying to make money, you can NEVER sell for a LOSS. So with that being said, are you the type of guy, that b****** to other people, "Man that guy wouldnt sell it to me for $12", I bet you are, but you don't see the other side. You only see, and hear, what you want to see, and hear.

It's easy for a guy/kid that you, to try and tell a dealer what they should sell something for. Now, If I have a card,I don't have much in, sure I would cut a break, to a collector, or another buyer/dealer. But if I have something I have alot in, I can't just "give it away", that's what you dont get. So DON'T ever try and tell me I am not a trye "collector", cause this isn't my "first rodeo" in this hobby my friend, I am just trying to show both sides of it from a perspective.

To me, if you want a card BAD enough, you will pay the piper. If not, then fine, move on, and maybe you can find it somewhere else down the line. You just don't understand that sometimes, you have to take in account, what that person has in a particular card, and if they are a TRUE dealer, they will tell you, so you can understand their point of it, instead of crying that you didnt' get it, cause they wouldn't "give it away to you, cause you collect that player".

Sep 25, 2013
Midwest US
MansGame....I don't try and "squeeze every penny" I can out of a card. I was just telling Mozzie, if I make $5 on a card, I'm ok with it, that's just me, cause if you give good deals, those people will always come back to you. But he doesn't understand, and this is the point I was trying to make..

If I have $15 in a card, I am selling for $20, to make $5, I can't sell it to him for $12, cause I am losing money, he, nor some people can't grasp that. I am all for deals, and giving deals too, but NOT for a loss, that's just common sense,but life is 2 things............

#1 . Common Sense
#2 Respect...

Unfortunately in this world, some people have neither

Sep 25, 2013
Midwest US
Just unforunate that by some people's takes: "Cards should just be given away", cause they are collectors...This isn't "free dogs", where you just give it to a good home. I just can't believe people that some want you "to give it away to a collector, so it can go into PC". So if you collect Mcfarlands, should you go into Wal-Mart and tell them give it to me, cause I collect it, and it's going to a good home???:confused:

autocut

I love the saying "pay the piper" - not because I think that's right but because I just appreciate my dealings with true collectors and those who mean well in the hobby and not try to cut every corner and squeeze every penny out of every single person they run up against. People can do whatever the hell they want with their own cards but I just really appreciate my dealings with true collectors who are reasonable and don't try to work every avenue to get the next penny out of their card. I tend to treat people how I would want to be treated. I bet most of these clowns would never be in a thread call "Free to go home" because to them everything has a value and they would never give anything away for the good of the hobby or a community. It's sad to have some of these guys in the hobby IMO.

Just being realistic. People are in the hobby for different reasons. Who said the "seller" was a collector? I would consider a "seller" a dealer and trader as a collector. The purpose of putting a card on an auction site such as ebay is to get as much as possible. I have yet to see a maximum reserve on an auction item.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts