Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did you guys get the email from Mike (MyPens66) about FCB???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjnprospects

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
I would like to personally thank Chris and the rest of the staff for all they have done for this site and any money they have put up so we have a place to chat and talk about the hobby where a suspension isnt handed out for disagreeing with a mod!

Thanks Gilmore!!

+1

Aug 7, 2008
Maryland
mredsox89 said:
I mean really? first off, did he think he was going to be able to afford the costs of start up of this board on a server and maintenance? If he is 15 or 16 the email makes a lot of sense, very immature

It's not about the money, it's about credit and common courtesy. Mike started the bmb when beckett started the process of going down the crapper. His free site was in his sig for a few minutes before he was threatened to be banned. I think there was 3 or 4 of us that even knew about the site for the 1st day. News spread about the new site (I sent a ton of pm's and im's) and a ton of people started signing up. It got too crowded for the free site and Chris stepped up and took the initiative to get the ball rolling. I don't know the details behind the agreement between Chris and Mike but there was obviously an agreement of some sort. You guys are technically partners and it should stay that way. If Chris is the main monetary provider then yes he should reap the rewards that come with it. If all Mike is asking for is a little recognition then what is so wrong with that? Unless Mike totally just stopped contributing as an admin then I can see why Chris doesn't want to carry him on his back. This whole situation just seems too juvenile for me. Make ammends and squash the nonsense. This is not high school where we rely on he said she said B.S. This is a place where we come together to talk ball. Please no more crap and conspiracy theories. I can't stand the flame wars and all the crying that takes place. Lets get back to the quality posting that took place when we all 1st made the transition over here. PLEASE!!!

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
[quote="justinmandawg":19qteeku][quote="sethyarkony":19qteeku]SO wait.

first you read the email and say ok...

then you find out he is 16 and say...

oh yes immature!

mredsox89, explain your logic.

"If he is 15 or 16 the email makes a lot of sense, very immature"

if a 30 year old wrote it, what would you think?

come on now

Relax. Young people look at older people (in general) like they are out of touch. Older people look at younger people like they are idiots. It is what it is. Usually both sides have a good idea what they are talking about.

He implied that any minor who makes a dumb statement is very immature and incapable of acting like someone who is older.

I want to know what he would think when someone older makes such a statement.

I didn't know minors had such less "lee-way" than adults.

If an older person made a statement like the email i would think he needed to grow up. He decided to start the website and wanted to be treated like an adult, and it seems when he didn't get his way he just started ignoring Chris and then sent out an email to every member telling them to abandon the site.
so you think there is a specific age or age range to qualify as "immature". there are kids my age (16) i know on this board who are far more mature than older members.

you still would judge a minor on this board because of their age?

No, but i would read what they say differently. That is different imo. But for me, college is the dividing line. And obviously you are going to have immature adults and mature teenagers, and since all we can do is read each others posts, we can only get a small idea of who the person really is[/quote:19qteeku]
where this this magical dividing line at college come in? and how would you read it "differently". people in college have scored a 10 on their ACT, while some have scored a 36.

would you read those people's posts differently?

or would you say, "oh they are 18-20+ (or whatever), ill read their posts like a mature adult and completely value their opinion"[/quote:19qteeku]

This wasn't supposed to start an argument. There is obviously some middle ground, imo from about 18-25. And yes, if i read a post by a person who has already gone to college I expect it to be mature and if it is a teenager in HS or before HS i take a second look at what is written. And i never completely value anyone opinion on a message board. I take it into account.

angelsrockies4ever

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
angelsrockies4ever said:
Let's think about it like this:
Joe 1 starts a large, money-making company.
Joe 2 comes along and is much smarter than Joe 1 so he takes over the company.
Joe 2 decides Joe 1 did something wrong, so he fires Joe 1.

Joe 1 could have fired Joe 2 the whole time, but he continued to let Joe 2 take over and keep gaining more and more power to the point in which he is like the founder.

But im not sure if the site was making money prior to Chris taking control. i joined the site late so maybe i missed something but it seems like Mypens original site was just a for fun site, maybe im blind to the situation
It was just an example. I decided it was stupid and edited it before you posted this.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
pjnprospects said:
sethyarkony said:
pjnprospects said:
I don't really wont to get involved in this, but I would just like to add that a suspension of him is 100% reasonable. Personally I don't want to get an e-mail from him trying to get everyone involved in something, just because he is upset. I feel like it definetly could have been handled in a more mature way then it was.
people found out about mypens' original site and this one through email recruiting of old BMB members...

one email really hurts that much?

how many people do you think found out about this site through email?

The email recruiting old BMB members was a positive email trying to unite collectors. This email is making acusations, and trying to convert everyone to a new site. I said I don't want to get an email trying to invole everyone in something because mypens is upset. I'm aware this is his original site, and I appreciate that. I just think from the email I just recieved that he was acting very immature and turing this into a Cgilmo Vs. Mypens thing that I have no interest in getting involved in. I like FCB the way it

I see it as both emails in both situations providing an different explanation for the motive of the email. Regardless of it being positive and "uniting" or a "division" between people, the email was better off explaining why than just saying "hey, come to my site!"

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
cgilmo said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
SO wait.

oh yes immature!

come on now

I was shocked by the email at first cause i figured mypens was an adult because he was a mod. Finding out it is a 15 year old, it doesn't surprise me that was the message he sent. When i was 15/16 i never would have sent out an email like that. Adults keep things like this private. This topic should never have gotten beyond a conversation between him and Chris.

Regardless, its absurd it even got to this point.

He never would talk to me. I also think he got bad advice from people like Terry, and the staff at the website he went to who obviously wanted this to happen.

That is obvious. They had a nice mailing list from NCS, but Bill deleted any member info from people who had not logged in for 6 months+ so the list went from like 350+ to around 50 so no one knew about their site.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I would just like to say that I truly appreciate this board and as long as it runs well and there is a lot of activity, I will be happy.

But lets please move on, lol

angelsrockies4ever

Aug 7, 2008
GAbballplayer148 said:
mredsox89 said:
angelsrockies4ever said:
Let's think about it like this:
Joe 1 starts a large, money-making company.
Joe 2 comes along and is much smarter than Joe 1 so he takes over the company.
Joe 2 decides Joe 1 did something wrong, so he fires Joe 1.

Joe 1 could have fired Joe 2 the whole time, but he continued to let Joe 2 take over and keep gaining more and more power to the point in which he is like the founder.

But im not sure if the site was making money prior to Chris taking control. i joined the site late so maybe i missed something but it seems like Mypens original site was just a for fun site, maybe im blind to the situation

The original site was crap. Chris asked me to join when the site was first started, and it just looked like an overnight deal, so I didn't waste my time. When the boards switched to the current format, I joined.
Again, I edited it before anyone posted. I realized it was a stupid comparison.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
THREADKILLER-crohrer said:
mredsox89 said:
I mean really? first off, did he think he was going to be able to afford the costs of start up of this board on a server and maintenance? If he is 15 or 16 the email makes a lot of sense, very immature

It's not about the money, it's about credit and common courtesy. Mike started the bmb when beckett started the process of going down the crapper. His free site was in his sig for a few minutes before he was threatened to be banned. I think there was 3 or 4 of us that even knew about the site for the 1st day. News spread about the new site (I sent a ton of pm's and im's) and a ton of people started signing up. It got too crowded for the free site and Chris stepped up and took the initiative to get the ball rolling. I don't know the details behind the agreement between Chris and Mike but there was obviously an agreement of some sort. You guys are technically partners and it should stay that way. If Chris is the main monetary provider then yes he should reap the rewards that come with it. If all Mike is asking for is a little recognition then what is so wrong with that? Unless Mike totally just stopped contributing as an admin then I can see why Chris doesn't want to carry him on his back. This whole situation just seems too juvenile for me. Make ammends and squash the nonsense. This is not high school where we rely on he said she said B.S. This is a place where we come together to talk ball. Please no more crap and conspiracy theories. I can't stand the flame wars and all the crying that takes place. Lets get back to the quality posting that took place when we all 1st made the transition over here. PLEASE!!!

you assumed that mike talked to me :)

Btw, guys say your peace now.

This thread wont be here in the morning.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
[quote="sethyarkony":25fv4nvd][quote="justinmandawg":25fv4nvd][quote="sethyarkony":25fv4nvd]SO wait.

oh yes immature!

come on now

Relax. Young people look at older people (in general) like they are out of touch. Older people look at younger people like they are idiots. It is what it is. Usually both sides have a good idea what they are talking about.

He implied that any minor who makes a dumb statement is very immature and incapable of acting like someone who is older.

If an older person made a statement like the email i would think he needed to grow up. He decided to start the website and wanted to be treated like an adult, and it seems when he didn't get his way he just started ignoring Chris and then sent out an email to every member telling them to abandon the site.
so you think there is a specific age or age range to qualify as "immature". there are kids my age (16) i know on this board who are far more mature than older members.

No, but i would read what they say differently. That is different imo. But for me, college is the dividing line. And obviously you are going to have immature adults and mature teenagers, and since all we can do is read each others posts, we can only get a small idea of who the person really is[/quote:25fv4nvd]
where this this magical dividing line at college come in? and how would you read it "differently". people in college have scored a 10 on their ACT, while some have scored a 36.

or would you say, "oh they are 18-20+ (or whatever), ill read their posts like a mature adult and completely value their opinion"[/quote:25fv4nvd]

This wasn't supposed to start an argument. There is obviously some middle ground, imo from about 18-25. And yes, if i read a post by a person who has already gone to college I expect it to be mature and if it is a teenager in HS or before HS i take a second look at what is written. And i never completely value anyone opinion on a message board. I take it into account.[/quote:25fv4nvd]
pre-judging by age is ridiculous to me. that's all i have to say.

I will again say, I know a 15-17 (or somewhere close) year old collector of ervin santana on this board who is 100X more mature than a 30-40 year old army member who posts here.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
[quote="mredsox89":1kj4hltb][quote="sethyarkony":1kj4hltb][quote="justinmandawg":1kj4hltb][quote="sethyarkony":1kj4hltb]SO wait.

oh yes immature!

come on now

No, but i would read what they say differently. That is different imo. But for me, college is the dividing line. And obviously you are going to have immature adults and mature teenagers, and since all we can do is read each others posts, we can only get a small idea of who the person really is[/quote:1kj4hltb]

or would you say, "oh they are 18-20+ (or whatever), ill read their posts like a mature adult and completely value their opinion"[/quote:1kj4hltb]

This wasn't supposed to start an argument. There is obviously some middle ground, imo from about 18-25. And yes, if i read a post by a person who has already gone to college I expect it to be mature and if it is a teenager in HS or before HS i take a second look at what is written. And i never completely value anyone opinion on a message board. I take it into account.[/quote:1kj4hltb]

I will again say, I know a 15-17 (or somewhere close) year old collector of ervin santana on this board who is 100X more mature than a 30-40 year old army member who posts here.[/quote:1kj4hltb]

Its not like i dont read certain people because of age, but you can't honestly tell me that for the most part adults are more mature. Obviously there are exceptions and of course you are gonna find the immature 30 year olds and the mature teens. But i think this conversation isn't going anywhere so lets just agree to disagree.

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
I just hate that now because of all of this bickering, people are getting permanently banned from here. I'm not picking sides as I will be posting on both here and Mike's website. Thank you gilmore for running this site and thank you Mike for creating an option instead of Beckett.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
sethyarkony said:

I will again say, I know a 15-17 (or somewhere close) year old collector of ervin santana on this board who is 100X more mature than a 30-40 year old army member who posts here.
And for that one there are 75 who dont. Move on dont take everything so personally.

RandomH

Ok, ok, ok. These are my thoughts about FCB.

1. This place rocks, I mean it's great to come here talk sports cards, and read up on the hobby.
2. Gilmore did/is doing a fantastic job, I mean it. He really put this place "on the map."
3. Tons and Tons of great members, who make this place fun. Some are more "visible" than others, and they speak their minds.

Here are 3 things I do not really "like" about this place.
1. I feel that AKA got kinda "baited" to get banned. I think there should have been some type of warning regarding his constant basketball posting on the baseball board.
2. I have to be honest. Razor gets way to much exposure on here. I mean they get their seperate section? I know they are a sponsor, but so is DA Cardworld, Atlanta Sports Cards? I like a many other members feel that this place may soon be called RazorCardBoard..... I don't see why Razor can't create it's own forum on it's own site?
3. Last, with the random boxes that are sent to Chris, why can't there be contests or something to give out the stuff? I mean when I heard, " Oh, I will be keeping this Williams" (DON'T Quote me on that one, it was something like that. Remember the Prime Cuts Break?)
BUT,

This place is really awesome and I like going here. It's just a I don't wanna see this happen.

motivaional_communism.jpg

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
mredsox89 said:
sethyarkony said:
[quote="mredsox89":29aciiig][quote="sethyarkony":29aciiig][quote="justinmandawg":29aciiig][quote="sethyarkony":29aciiig]SO wait.

oh yes immature!

come on now

No, but i would read what they say differently. That is different imo. But for me, college is the dividing line. And obviously you are going to have immature adults and mature teenagers, and since all we can do is read each others posts, we can only get a small idea of who the person really is[/quote:29aciiig]

or would you say, "oh they are 18-20+ (or whatever), ill read their posts like a mature adult and completely value their opinion"[/quote:29aciiig]

This wasn't supposed to start an argument. There is obviously some middle ground, imo from about 18-25. And yes, if i read a post by a person who has already gone to college I expect it to be mature and if it is a teenager in HS or before HS i take a second look at what is written. And i never completely value anyone opinion on a message board. I take it into account.[/quote:29aciiig]

I will again say, I know a 15-17 (or somewhere close) year old collector of ervin santana on this board who is 100X more mature than a 30-40 year old army member who posts here.[/quote:29aciiig]

Some of the most immature people i have ever met were in the military. :)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
goblue6919 said:
I just hate that now because of all of this bickering, people are getting permanently banned from here. I'm not picking sides as I will be posting on both here and Mike's website. Thank you gilmore for running this site and thank you Mike for creating an option instead of Beckett.

The only people who are getting banned, are those stealing information from this site and using it to promote another. I think you will agree that has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts