Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chipper Jones Hall of Famer??

Is Chipper a FIRST Balot Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigmick33

Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta
With Chipper getting ready to retire this brought up great conversation at the LCS. Is Chipper Jones a FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Anyone who doesn't think Chipper is a HOFer doesn't know baseball.

Edit: I see the question is whether he is a first ballot HOFer. I think he is. Over .300 career average, .932 OPS, 2,600+ hits, 450+ HRs, probably will get 1600+ RBI.

Last edited:

bigmick33

Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta
this guy! I may be the only one who votes no. But with no major statistical milestones hit, no standout career defining moment, he is not one of the greatest defenders at his position, no way he is first ballot.

budvandall

Mar 11, 2012
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hall of fame.......yes. First ballot......no. Great player but not elite, defining an era type player. IMO you need to define an era and have milestone stats to be first ballot.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
For those saying he isn't a first ballot HOFer, do you think Biggio gets in on the first ballot? If so (because of 3K hits) then why not Chipper when he was the better player.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Yes. And the whole first ballot business is nonsense anyway and probably something that gives the writers some sense of self-importance. If the guy is a HOFer, he's a HOFer. Whether he gets in on the first try or the 10th, he gets in and nobody is going to remember what ballot he got in on anyway.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Switch hitters that were better All-Time?

Mantle
Rose
Eddie Murray

That's it. He is a rare talent and will walk in easily.

bigmick33

Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta
Yes. And the whole first ballot business is nonsense anyway and probably something that gives the writers some sense of self-importance. If the guy is a HOFer, he's a HOFer. Whether he gets in on the first try or the 10th, he gets in and nobody is going to remember what ballot he got in on anyway.

Mantle and Joe Dimaggio were not first ballots. I remember that!

Frow

For those saying he isn't a first ballot HOFer, do you think Biggio gets in on the first ballot? If so (because of 3K hits) then why not Chipper when he was the better player.

Define "better"

Can we vote C: for indifference. It's not going to ruin the hall if he gets in but not an omg he has to be type player. I'm a bit surprised he didn't lead the league in more categories.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
In no way was Murray better than Chipper and a case could be made that Rose wasn't better. For my money, Chipper is the best switch hitter since Mantle. My opinion, of course.

I'm talking in terms of milestones which are not opinions, they are concrete numbers. I'd be willing to guess that 90% of this board had no clue that Eddie Murray was a part of the 3000 hit club, 500 HR club and switch hit.
Rose's hit totals speak for themselves. No big shame that Larry is probably the 4th best (2nd in your book) switch hitter of all time.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm talking in terms of milestones which are not opinions, they are concrete numbers. I'd be willing to guess that 90% of this board had no clue that Eddie Murray was a part of the 3000 hit club, 500 HR club and switch hit.
Rose's hit totals speak for themselves. No big shame that Larry is probably the 4th best (2nd in your book) switch hitter of all time.

Murray spent a lot of time at DH. That is why he was able to reach those milestones. Chipper is a better hitter, defender and base stealer by a mile. Rose has the hit record due to longevity, but for my money, Chipper is a better overall player. Rose and Murray's per-162 games averages are bested by Chipper in the majority of categories.

Members online

Latest posts